Outlander

Martha
Komiser

Outlander

Post by Martha » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Let's discuss this amazing and haunting book! And the whole series, as well! Enjoy!

mW8Fxbsfio57J-WebnsxhmLI93haA2v9Mq8-3A8P

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:36 pm

http://www.lallybroch.com/LOL/jamieout.html

Aye, favorite Jamie-sms! 

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:45 pm

"There are things that I canna tell , at least not yet. And I'll ask nothing of ye that ye canna give me. But what I would ask of ye---when you do tell me something, let it be the truth. And I'll promise ye the same. We have nothing now between us, save---respect, perhaps. And I think that respect has maybe room for secrets, but not for lies. Do ye agree?"

Gotta love this man 

e048aefc4a54c029f7be2af58a85e4eb.gif

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Diana Gabaldon's description of Outlander:

OUTLANDER (published in the UK under the title CROSS STITCH) is the first novel in the Outlander series. Frankly, I’ve never been able to describe this book in twenty-five words or less, and neither has anyone else in the twenty years since it was first published.  I’ve seen it (and the rest of the series) sold—with evident success—as Literature, Fiction, Historical Fiction, Historical NON-fiction (really. Well, they are very accurate), Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Military History (no, honest), *** and Lesbian Fiction, and…Horror. (Really!  One of my books beat both George R.R. Martin and Stephen King for a Quill Award in 2006.) Anyway, the only way I’ve ever found of describing this book to anyone is to begin telling them the story. So here goes….   In 1946, after WWII, a young Englishwoman named Claire Beauchamp Randall goes to the Scottish Highlands with her husband, Frank. She’s an ex-combat nurse, he’s been in the army as well, they’ve been separated for the last six years, and this is a second honeymoon; they’re getting re-acquainted with each other, thinking of starting a family. But one day Claire goes out walking by herself, and comes across a circle of standing stones—such circles are in fact common all over northern Britain.  She walks through a cleft stone in the circle….and disappears. Back into 1743, where the first person she meets is a gentleman in an 18th-century army officer’s uniform. This gentleman, Jack Randall, looks just like her husband Frank—and proves to be Frank’s six-times-great-grandfather. Unfortunately, he also proves to be a sadistic bisexual pervert, and while trying to escape from him, Claire falls into the hands of a gang of Highland Scots, who are also trying to get away from Black Jack Randall—though for other reasons.   In order to avoid being handed over to Captain Randall, Claire is obliged to marry one of the young clansmen. So she finds herself trying to escape from Castle Leoch and her Scottish captors, trying to get back to her husband Frank, trying to avoid being recaptured by Captain Randall—and falling in love with Jamie Fraser, the young man she’s been forced to marry. The story rolls on from there…   What I used to say to people who saw me sitting outside a store with a pile of books and asked (reasonably enough), “What sort of book is this?”, was, “I tell you what. Pick it up, open it anywhere, and read three pages.  If you can put it down again, I’ll pay you a dollar.” I’ve never lost any money on that bet.

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:05 pm

The OUTLANDER series started by accident, when I decided to write a novel for practice, in order to:   Learn what it took to write a novel, and To decide whether I really wanted to do that for real.   I did, and I did—and here we all are, still trying to figure out what the heck you call books that nobody can describe, but that fortunately most people seem to enjoy.   In essence, these novels are Big, Fat, Historical Fiction, à la James Clavell and James Michener.  However, owing to the fact that I wrote the first book for practice, didn’t intend to show it to anyone, and therefore saw no reason to limit myself, they  include…   history, warfare, medicine, sex, violence, spirituality, honor, betrayal, vengeance, hope and despair, relationships, the building and destruction of families and societies, time travel, moral ambiguity, swords, herbs, horses, gambling (with cards, dice, and lives), voyages of daring, journeys of both body and soul…   you know, the usual stuff of literature.     I don’t like to do things I’ve already done, so (in spite of the fact that this is a series, and does involve the same central characters throughout) each book is unique in structure, tone, approach, and theme. The books can be read independently of each other (I can’t be sure that people seeing the newest one on a bookstore table will realize that it’s part of a series, so the books are (with minor exceptions) engineered to stand alone)mdash; but if you have a choice, I’d strongly recommend beginning at the beginning, with OUTLANDER, and reading through the story in order of publication (I’d say “in chronological order,” but that isn’t necessarily a useful term when you’re playing fast and loose with time, which I not infrequently do):   Outlander, which is published as Cross Stitch in the U.K. Dragonfly In Amber Voyager Drums of Autumn The Fiery Cross A Breath of Snow and Ashes An Echo In The Bone Written In My Own Heart’s Blood: Nicknamed “MOBY,” the new eighth book in the series has a publication release date of March 25, 2014!   [The Lord John Grey novels are in fact part of the series, rather than being a spin-off—but these novels are constructed differently and are focused on Lord John as a central character. Also, while they do include Jamie Fraser as an important character, they don't include Claire, as they (so far) take place during a stretch of time where Claire wasn't physically present. This sub-series can be read either independently of the main series, or as part of it. If you choose to read it as part of the series, you can read these novels after reading VOYAGER.]

Elizabeth Bennet
Warrior Princess

Post by Elizabeth Bennet » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:05 am

Are the 2008 film and this book related? I watched the film in 2009 and it was amaaaaaaazing! Love Sophia Myles and James Caviezel.

Bana sakın söyleme hayatta kalamayacağımı

"sen benim felaketimden kaçarken o bana sahip çıktı.

ne kadar aşağılık bir adam olursa olsun; yaptığının bedelini ödemeye

göze aldı.

senin gibi kaçıp gitmedi...!♥♥
"

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:24 am

Are the 2008 film and this book related? I watched the film in 2009 and it was amaaaaaaazing! Love Sophia Myles and James Caviezel.

Hi Lizzie 

No, that movie and the book are not related! I watched the movie and it's really good (now that you reminded me I should watch it again)!

The book is excellent and if you have time you should read it! Alana hooked me and Martie and now we are crazy about it. 

And there is going to be a TV show based on it next year...so now we are like this 

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

Meet Jamie and Claire

Elizabeth Bennet
Warrior Princess

Post by Elizabeth Bennet » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:52 am

Meet Jamie and Claire

you've got me hooked too now! i'm going to look for the book, i wonder if it's easily available though...

Bana sakın söyleme hayatta kalamayacağımı

"sen benim felaketimden kaçarken o bana sahip çıktı.

ne kadar aşağılık bir adam olursa olsun; yaptığının bedelini ödemeye

göze aldı.

senin gibi kaçıp gitmedi...!♥♥
"

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:59 am

you've got me hooked too now! i'm going to look for the book, i wonder if it's easily available though...

You are in for quite an adventure! I am happy you are going to join us 

I have it in e-pub format, I can send it to you or PM link where you can find it

Meltem
Hatun

Post by Meltem » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:06 am

* Just a warning to potential readers:

There are detailed sex scenes - both romantic and otherwise - as well as violence. 

Just so you are forewarned...

ObEEPPv.gif

“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum."

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:18 am

There are detailed sex scenes - both romantic and otherwise - as well as violence. 

But it's worth reading because when you survive all that violence with our protagonists you love them even more!

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:24 am

Hmm, detailed  Fantastic, hilarious! Whether born from the century difference between the characters - not only the main ones - or the nature of the people involved - I just adore a good dialogue! Funny, witty, cocky, angry, or breathtakingly romantic and loving.

So, Claire. A badass. In the beginning of the book, in 1945, I loved the description of her life with Frank, post WWII, and her job, but I felt the author led the story surfacing, with a feeling of my gut, something was not quite right there.....Frank being a history lover was good, but something in the way he was treating Claire, some hints showed he was at least conservative and reserved. Mind I have not finished the book, but intend to do so in a day or two 

Will continue my preview soon, gotta go cooking 

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:55 pm

May be I will be the only one posting here............but Lord! I am heartbroken! 

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Martie, you won't be alone here posting, that's for sure!

That scene you are talking about...oh my    ...the pain they both felt...the way Claire just turned away from the stones and ran toward Jamie...his words: 

"I prayed all the way up that hill yesterday," he said softly. "Not for you to stay; I didna think that would be right. I prayed I'd be strong enough to send ye away." He shook his head, still gazing up the hill, a faraway look in his eyes.        "I said 'Lord, if I've never had courage in my life before, let me have it now. Let me be brave enough not to fall on my knees and beg her to stay.'" He pulled his eyes away from the cottage and smiled briefly at me.        "Hardest thing I ever did, Sassenach."     You just feel love from every word Diana wrote...and as you said, you can hear their words in your ears!

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Martie, you won't be alone here posting, that's for sure!

That scene you are talking about...oh my    ...the pain they both felt...the way Claire just turned away from the stones and ran toward Jamie...his words: 

"I prayed all the way up that hill yesterday," he said softly. "Not for you to stay; I didna think that would be right. I prayed I'd be strong enough to send ye away." He shook his head, still gazing up the hill, a faraway look in his eyes.        "I said 'Lord, if I've never had courage in my life before, let me have it now. Let me be brave enough not to fall on my knees and beg her to stay.'" He pulled his eyes away from the cottage and smiled briefly at me.        "Hardest thing I ever did, Sassenach."     You just feel love from every word Diana wrote...and as you said, you can hear their words in your ears!

It is just incredible, Addie, what a character Jamie is. What a man! Plain words, simple ones, no beating around the bushes, always the truth. Flesh and blood, heart and soul. Amazing.

As for Dougal and Colum, well, I can't say I like either of them so far. Heartless, cold and shemers

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:53 pm

It is just incredible, Addie, what a character Jamie is. What a man! Plain words, simple ones, no beating around the bushes, always the truth. Flesh and blood, heart and soul. Amazing.

As for Dougal and Colum, well, I can't say I like either of them so far. Heartless, cold and shemers

Those two didn't grow on me either! 

I love how Jamie wants truth between him and Claire...he is very young in age but very vise, like an old man. 

Martie, I think I am going to read Outlander again...like right now 

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Those two didn't grow on me either! 

I love how Jamie wants truth between him and Claire...he is very young in age but very vise, like an old man. 

Martie, I think I am going to read Outlander again...like right now 

How is the second book, Addie? I am turning close to finishing Outlander and I just read so many confusing reviews on the next books. But then again, I can't separate from Claire and Jamie

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:19 pm

How is the second book, Addie? I am turning close to finishing Outlander and I just read so many confusing reviews on the next books. But then again, I can't separate from Claire and Jamie

It's good (but I have very little time these days so I am reading very slowly   )

I try not to read reviews and let them affect my opinion.

20 years apart is my biggest problem...I just hate when they do that to me...but I love this story very much and can't let it go because of that small problem!

I won't spoil it for you so tell me how much do you want to know about 2nd book

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:20 pm

It's good (but I have very little time these days so I am reading very slowly   )

I try not to read reviews and let them affect my opinion.

20 years apart is my biggest problem...I just hate when they do that to me...but I love this story very much and can't let it go because of that small problem!

I won't spoil it for you so tell me how much do you want to know about 2nd book

Let me finish the first book and I will tell you how much I want to know about the next

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:34 am

Let me finish the first book and I will tell you how much I want to know about the next

I've never so intensively hated fictional character as I do Randall     

I have a feeling that in the TV series we are going to see big part of that torture 

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:47 am

I've never so intensively hated fictional character as I do Randall     

I have a feeling that in the TV series we are going to see big part of that torture 

Yes, and the flogging /the initial one/ too. Sam Hughan said in an interview that it was verra hard to shoot the scene. In the book, it is other people that tell Claire about it, including Jamie. But we will see it first hand in the series.

About the rape...

Meltem
Hatun

Post by Meltem » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:59 am

You're not on your own, you two! I am just busy at the moment - it's crunch time this week. College essays and applications must be submitted to California universities by the end of the week, and so many students wait until the last minute as usual…sigh. Anyway, I am reading your comments and will post my own soon, I promise. 

ObEEPPv.gif

“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum."

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:42 pm

I finished the book! But a lot of questions remained unanswered for me.....or confused me.

- Was Diana Gabaldon suggesting that times run paralelly, as Geilis Duncan went through in 1967 and found herself in the same spot as Claire. 

- Was Randall dead? Or Claire changed the fate?

- Why was the child's beating /Jamie's/ so justified? I wasnt quite ok with it.

- What happened to Frank at ll? Did she love him? Or was she deluding herself all the time?

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Alana, can't wait for your comments! 

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Noone willing to share what she thinks? from waving the pages.

Lana, canna wait for ye to join as well! Och, aye!

P.S I was strangely monitoring whether Jamie will open his mouth to say "yes" instead of "aye" in Outlander. He did. Twice in the whole book, may it was a mistake from Diana, who knows.

P.S 1 I desperately want to learn Gaelic.

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:26 pm

I finished the book! But a lot of questions remained unanswered for me.....or confused me.

- Was Diana Gabaldon suggesting that times run paralelly, as Geilis Duncan went through in 1967 and found herself in the same spot as Claire. 

- Was Randall dead? Or Claire changed the fate?

- Why was the child's beating /Jamie's/ so justified? I wasnt quite ok with it.

- What happened to Frank at ll? Did she love him? Or was she deluding herself all the time?

Martie, I agree with you...Jamie suffered so much and it was one of the hardest things for me to bear while reading this book 

- I think that time does run parallelly (I won't spoil 2nd book for you because I think you will start reading it right away)

- As for Randall...I think he is not dead (so far in 2nd book he is "officially" dead but I fear we haven't seen the end of him just yet)

- I can't, for the life of me, understand and justify beating of the child. Hope Alana will help us with that one.

- You will soon hear about Frank, again 2nd book. About Claire loving him...I think she did, but that love wasn't nearly as strong as her love for Jamie. I like to think that she loved Frank more like a best friend, war separated them and after 8 years apart they were just trying to find themselves in the marriage when Craigh na Dun occurred. 

Andrijana
Warrior Princess

Post by Andrijana » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Noone willing to share what she thinks? from waving the pages.

Lana, canna wait for ye to join as well! Och, aye!

P.S I was strangely monitoring whether Jamie will open his mouth to say "yes" instead of "aye" in Outlander. He did. Twice in the whole book, may it was a mistake from Diana, who knows.

P.S 1 I desperately want to learn Gaelic.

I knew you couldn't leave 2nd book waiting for long...I understand you completely.

I am reading it so slowly that you will probably catch up with me fast...so we will read it together 

I didn't catch that "yes" instead of "aye"...I wasn't paying that much attention   . I'll remember it for 2nd reading! Maybe it was Diana's mistake but editor should have corrected it.

P.S. I desperately want to go and live in Scotland   )

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:06 pm

I truly believe that Diana used someone very real for Jamie 

Clan Fraser at Culloden

Martha
Komiser

Post by Martha » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic