Booktique

Meltem
Hatun

Re: Booktique

Post by Meltem » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:49 am

LOVE all your recommendations, Khorasan - all favorites of mine, as well. :smiley_good:

ObEEPPv.gif

“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum."

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:19 am

This one is for foofsy lol

The Great Typo Hunt: Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time, by Jeff Deck and Benjamin D. Herson, tells the story of an epic journey across the U.S. to fix typos in public signage.

"The Great Typo Hunt is a humorous, insightful tale of adventure, misplaced apostrophes, and the open road. It describes how we took a two-and-a-half month drive around the United States to fix typos in public signage, toting an arsenal of typo correction that included markers, Wite-Out, and chalk—and how we were later summoned to federal court for defacing a historic sign at the Grand Canyon.

Besides detailing the comical adventures of typo correcting, the book shows how the pursuit of typos led us to broader social issues, such as cultural homogenization, race relations, workplace repression, and education. There have been books about spelling and grammatical errors, and there have been books about quixotic road trips, but ours is the first to combine the two—not to mention the first book about fixing typos rather than complaining about them.

Anyone who’s ever been annoyed or frustrated by a typo will enjoy this book. Editors, teachers, educational administrators, librarians, and writers will especially relate to the tale; the many amateur grammarians from other walks of life will also gravitate to The Great Typo Hunt (we heard from plenty during the trip!). If you enjoy adventurous exploits with plenty of grammatical swashbuckling, our book is for you!"

Source: http://greattypohunt.com/?page_id=19

Facebook group

QueenofGondor
Warrior Princess

Post by QueenofGondor » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:03 pm

LOVE all your recommendations, Khorasan - all favorites of mine, as well. :smiley_good:

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 am

Haven't read this but it looks like a book that's very uplifting.

The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha

"In this adaptation of his blog 1000awesomethings.com, Pasricha celebrates the simple pleasures of everyday living. Focusing on both tangible pleasures and simple experiences, Pasricha provides a contemporary take on everyday inspiration that skips the typical Chicken Soup for the Soul fare: "When you push the button for the elevator and it's already there," ("Ding!"); "When the boss goes out of town" ("Who's up for a three-hour lunch?"); "Peeling that thin plastic film off new electronics" ("Welcome to the world, remote control"). Other items get more substantial discussions, including the other side of the pillow, old playground equipment, hotel lobby bathrooms, the last day of school, and the five-second rule. Though tongue-in-cheek, Pasricha emerges a committed but inviting optimist, combating life's unending stream of bad news by identifying opportunities to "share a universal high five with humanity." Readers looking for simple, unsentimental pick-me-ups should find this happy browsing."

Source:http://www.amazon.ca/Book-Awesome-Neil-Pasricha/dp/0399156518

Blog 1000 Awesome Things Blog

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:54 pm

I just finished reading this novel and it cried me 3 times or more even loved it ....just want to share

My link

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:46 pm

I adore to read. And I've read many books that it's so hard to choose a favorite among them. My favorite literature period is realism, especially russian. Have to mention Dostoevskiy, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Gogol'.

I used to like Paulo Coelho but keep on reading his books I realized he's actually not that good, or even better not good at all. When you start to reading his literature it looks cool but after reading couple of books of him you realize they're all kinda the same. Empty philosophy. There are some good quotes you can find in his books though.

Some of my favorite books are: ''Crime and punishment'' by Dostoevskiy, ''The name of the rose'' by Umberto Eco, ''Justine and the misfortune of virtue'' by Marquise de Sade, ''Pride and prejudice'' by Jane Austen, ''Anna Karenina'' by Tolstoy, ''Shadow of the wind'' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, ''The gargoyle'' by Andrew Davidson, ''Madame Bovary'' by Flaubert and many others I can't remember now.

Also after reading Evgeniy Zamyatin's ''We'', I got attracted to dystopian topics so I also took ''Brave new world'' by Huxley and loved it too. Gotta read Orwell's ''1984'' asap. Anyone here read that one?

Meltem
Hatun

Post by Meltem » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:20 pm

I adore to read. And I've read many books that it's so hard to choose a favorite among them. My favorite literature period is realism, especially russian. Have to mention Dostoevskiy, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Gogol'.

I used to like Paulo Coelho but keep on reading his books I realized he's actually not that good, or even better not good at all. When you start to reading his literature it looks cool but after reading couple of books of him you realize they're all kinda the same. Empty philosophy. There are some good quotes you can find in his books though.

Some of my favorite books are: ''Crime and punishment'' by Dostoevskiy, ''The name of the rose'' by Umberto Eco, ''Justine and the misfortune of virtue'' by Marquise de Sade, ''Pride and prejudice'' by Jane Austen, ''Anna Karenina'' by Tolstoy, ''Shadow of the wind'' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, ''The gargoyle'' by Andrew Davidson, ''Madame Bovary'' by Flaubert and many others I can't remember now.

Also after reading Evgeniy Zamyatin's ''We'', I got attracted to dystopian topics so I also took ''Brave new world'' by Huxley and loved it too. Gotta read Orwell's ''1984'' asap. Anyone here read that one?

Hi, Angela! I've read most of your faves (some more than once

ObEEPPv.gif

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:57 am

I've read ''Animal farm'' and I have to agree it's really great

I've also read some of my favorite books more than once xD

Ntozake Shange, where is she from? I'll try to search for it here, if they translated her

I've also read Murakami's ''Norwegian wood'' and ''Sputnik sweetheart'' (not sure about the title in english) and I liked it but still didn't let me impressed. I say this cos ppl who recommended me Murakami were all impressed. Have you read anything of him?

I'll write down your recommendations, and try to search for them. Thanks =))

Meltem
Hatun

Post by Meltem » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:37 am

I've read ''Animal farm'' and I have to agree it's really great

I've also read some of my favorite books more than once xD

Ntozake Shange, where is she from? I'll try to search for it here, if they translated her

I've also read Murakami's ''Norwegian wood'' and ''Sputnik sweetheart'' (not sure about the title in english) and I liked it but still didn't let me impressed. I say this cos ppl who recommended me Murakami were all impressed. Have you read anything of him?

I'll write down your recommendations, and try to search for them. Thanks =))

Hi! No, I haven't read Murakami :thinking about:

Shange is a black American writer - a feminist, as well.

Just saw this...You might be interested. It's about Zora Neale Hurston and Their Eyes Were Watching God

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/fl-zora-neale-hurston-020512-20120203,0,5119738.story

Do you have a Kindle??

ObEEPPv.gif

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks for the link, it does look interesting I'll try to search for it in our library, if it's translated at all.

No, I don't have kindle.

Mukadess Ketenci
Warrior Princess

Post by Mukadess Ketenci » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Maybe no one is here anymore but I will try my luck!☺️

My daughter is a YA novelist with Harper Collins and Random House before... her recent book became an amazon bestseller and very close to my heart for many reasons. I would love to share with you dear readers: 

Hope you enjoy!??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Reader's Garden”