Madonna in a Fur Coat

Inga

Re: Madonna in a Fur Coat

Post by Inga » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:36 pm

On 1/18/2018 at 5:55 AM, sakhisangni said:

A shy young man leaves his home in rural Turkey to learn a trade and discover life in 1920s Berlin. There, in the city’s bustling streets, elegant museums, charged politics, and notorious cabarets, a chance meeting with a beautiful half-Jewish artist transforms him forever. Caught between his desire for freedom from tradition and his yearning to belong, he struggles to hold on to the new life he has found with the woman he loves.

Emotionally powerful, intensely atmospheric, and touchingly profound, Madonna in a Fur Coat is a novel about new beginnings, the relentless pull of family ties, and the unfathomable nature of the human soul. First published in 1943, this unforgettable tale, with its quiet yet insistent defiance of social norms, has been topping best-seller lists in Turkey since 2013.

Please post your thoughts about the book. I’ll be posting mine tonight. Hope everyone will have fun here reading and putting up their impression about the book.

I ordered the book and waiting impatiently for it.

Y0oeLkO.gif

sakhisangni

Post by sakhisangni » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 am

And we’ll be waiting impatiently for your views on the book /profile/53137-maman/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="53137" href="/profile/53137-maman/" rel="">@Maman

Inga

Post by Inga » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:14 pm

On 2/27/2018 at 12:50 AM, sakhisangni said:

And we’ll be waiting impatiently for your views on the book /profile/53137-maman/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="53137" href="/profile/53137-maman/" rel="">@Maman

I will post after I read it. It hasn't arrived yet.

Y0oeLkO.gif

Shemshak

Post by Shemshak » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:08 pm

2 hours ago, Maman said:

I will post after I read it. It hasn't arrived yet.

I checked it out from my local library! It was a very quick read!

Shemshak

Post by Shemshak » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:13 pm

On 1/26/2018 at 3:28 PM, Toprak said:

/profile/61970-shemshak/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="61970" href="/profile/61970-shemshak/" rel="">@Shemshak

You look for the eye icon on the menu

It creates a box and you can put a title (Hide contents)

And you can write inside the box

;)

or you can write first, then select

And after you select you put the title (Reveal hidden contents)

select

Hope it helps!

Dear thanks so much for informing me, and So so sorry for responding to you so late! I didn’t notice your respond up to now?

hope we discuss this book soon since I am forgetting the details? I am mixing up the 6-7 books I have read/ listened since this book?

Toprak

Post by Toprak » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I started my post as soon as I finished the book and haven't post it yet! I'll post it before Thursday I'll have to give it another look haha

Inga

Post by Inga » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:07 pm

I haven't read it but I i will on my upcoming vacation.

Y0oeLkO.gif

Toprak

Post by Toprak » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Well, i finished it some time ago. (in februrary, and I forgot to post this, I am so sorry)

Spoiler

I loved the build up at the beginning - how Raif is now and what a mystery he is for the people around him - and I forgot many times during the rest of the book how he turned out to be. It's a really sad story. Between the characters' character, family duties and the lack of communication at the time, this was destined to fail.

Regarding the gender switch thing, I had heard the interview I posted and read the articles and was ready to find a very odd couple. And while I read I felt, “this is just a shy guy”. If no one had put his judgments in a verbal form - his father, Maria herself - Raif would pass (today at least, but maybe then too) as an introvert, an insecure man. A depressive, self-loathing one too. Actually, I have read many books written in the first person and this may be the first time where that I find that the whole story is soooo written from the characters head. Other first-person narrators present the actions as things that happen outside them - I went to the coffee, I like this and that- but still, even first-person narrators protect themselves, they only show one version of things. Raif does the contrary, he doesn't spare us from all the mind tricks and doubts and crazy trains of thought that he (and I guess we all) have. Maria says anything and his mind just can't stop being paranoid and doubtful and go back and forth between what is happening before his eyes and what he thinks is the real explanation for it. Even when they are talking (not only when he thinks), he does things like that, "I told her everything, and since I wanted to be totally fair I ended telling her also bad things, and at the end I disbalanced the picture". He is not protecting himself -it's a diary after all but I guess even in diaries people put the bright side of things. It's beautiful and it's extremely realistic, and Maria's character certainly doesn't help to dissipate any doubts... but Raif is what he is, a self-doubting man who admits he does not know what to do a hundred times. What is feminine about it? having doubts or admitting them? "Men" (in a generic capitalized form that does not include Raif) don't have doubts, they absolutely don't acknowledge them. I could go on and on and I am missing a very important point:  the fact that he's a stranger in Berlin does not facilitate things. 

The same goes for her. Her so-called masculine features are being open and forward about things, and wanting to turn upside down the power relationships that she has encountered all her life. I appreciated the exercise to make them "odd" but here I think the author had a lot of problems disentangling the independent woman and the evil one. I had more problems with her, because she put obstacles by generalizing her point of view to a man like Raif and this eventually led to more drama than Raif’s attitude. After trauma and in harsh environments we can lose the ability to actually see the "good" men and women out there, and she definitely did not give Raif the chance to prove himself. She could let him love her, it was so easy, but some people like to shut the door and suffer. But I've seen that in real life.

Anyway, I liked it! ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Reader's Garden”