All Things Books III

Meltem

All Things Books III

Post by Meltem » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:45 am

Welcome to All Things Books (ATB) III...

ObEEPPv.gif

“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum."

Meltem

Post by Meltem » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:53 am

Veiled Circassian woman, Jean Leon Gerome

ObEEPPv.gif

Meltem

Post by Meltem » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 am

A Partnership Larger Than Marriage: The Stunning Love Letters of Kahlil Gibran and Mary Haskell

“You are like the Great Spirit, who befriends man not only to share his life, but to add to it. My knowing you is the greatest thing in my days and nights, a miracle quite outside the natural order of things.” BY MARIA POPOVA

Nearly a century after his death, the Lebanese-American painter, poet, and philosopher Kahlil Gibran (January 6, 1883–April 10, 1931) endures as one of humanity’s most universally beloved voices of truth and transcendence. But there would have been no Gibran as we know and love him without the philanthropist and patron of the arts Mary Elizabeth Haskell — his greatest champion, frequent collaborator, and unusual beloved. 

Haskell and Gibran met on May 10, 1904, at a friend’s studio. He was twenty-one and she nearly thirty-one. Impressed with his art, Haskell soon offered to send Gibran to Paris to study painting, with a stipend of $75 a month, equivalent to about $2,000 today. He accepted. In a letter to a friend written shortly before he departed for Paris in 1908, Gibran described Haskell as “a she-angel who is ushering me toward a splendid future and paving for me the path to intellectual and financial success.” Shortly after arriving, he wrote: “The day will come when I shall be able to say, ‘I became an artist through Mary Haskell.'”

But the open hands of Haskell’s generosity branched from an equally open heart, from some larger kindness of which Gibran soon became enamored. He came to see her as more than a benefactress — a kindred spirit, a woman of uncommon tenderness, and, above all, a person willing to descend into the deepest trenches of his psyche and climb to its highest mounts in order to understand him, which he considered the greatest measure of love. It was through her generosity that he survived as an artist, and it was through her selfless love that he found himself as a man.

In one of his first letters to Haskell from Paris, Gibran captures what is perhaps the greatest gift of love, whatever its nature — the gift of being seen by the other for who one really is:

It seemed to me that it was the moment of the opening of the door between Kahlil and the world that shall love him and into whose heart he shall surely feel he is pouring his work. I think his future is not far away now!

And so I made up my mind to follow what seems to me the final finger of God — I put definitely to myself the possibility of being his wife. And though every waking hour since has been drenched with inner tears, I know I am right, and that the tears mean joy, not pain, for the future. My age is simply the barrier raised between us and the blunder of our marrying. Not my age constitutes the objection — but the fact that for Kahlil there waits a different love from that he bears me — an apocalypse of love — and that shall be his marriage. His greatest work will come out of that — his greatest happiness, his new, full life. And it is not many years distant. Toward the woman of that love, I am but a step. And though my susceptible eyes weep, I think of her with joy — and I don’t want to have Kahlil, because I know she is growing somewhere for him, and that he is growing for her.

Kahlil Gibran, “Four Faces,” heavily inspired by Haskell.

The following year, as Gibran continues to struggle, she grants him the ultimate gift of love — the equal embrace of his inner darkness and his inner light:

Your work is not only books and pictures. They are but bits of it. Your work is You, not less than you, not parts of you… These days when you “cannot work” are accomplishing it, are of it, like the days when you “can work.” There is no division. It is all one. Your living is all of it; anything less is part of it. — Your silence will be read with your writings some day, your darkness will be part of the Light.

Kahlil Gibran, “Spirit of Light”

When I am unhappy, dear Mary, I read your letters. When the mist overwhelms the “I” in me, I take two or three letters out of the little box and reread them. They remind me of my true self. They make me overlook all that is not high and beautiful in life. Each and every one of us, dear Mary, must have a resting place somewhere. The resting place of my soul is a beautiful grove where my knowledge of you lives.

Read other excerpts from the book:

https://www.brainpickings.org/2017/01/20/kahlil-gibran-mary-haskell-love-letters/?utm_source=Brain+Pickings&utm_campaign=82c21edbf8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_179ffa2629-82c21edbf8-234369485&mc_cid=82c21edbf8&mc_eid=8702ff4814

ObEEPPv.gif

Meltem

Post by Meltem » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:15 am

ObEEPPv.gif

nightstar

Post by nightstar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:18 am

6 minutes ago, Diziashq said:

Glad that you liked it Canim 

Yes, u r absolutely right

When do u watch ÖK.... live or next day... missed u on that thread

I watch it the next day bcs I can't watch online. I'm sure if I could watch online, I couldn't do a proper live translation, may be just could give the important and critical infos onlin. The conversations and the relations are so profound and dense, I liked it so much .. so so so much and I want to sip it, to inhale it .. ÖK is a kind of dizi that you have to be silent to sense and hear it. It needs to be comprehended.  I don't follow fragmnans, and I stayed away from the discussions purposely. Every episode till now has enlarged our conception and I think there are many aspects which should be developed and added to give a complete vision of the story. I'm so happy for Engin, ÖK is a respectable and worthy project.  

Meltem

Post by Meltem » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:22 am

/?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FNowThisNews%2Fvideos%2F1037012453100096%2F" style="height:671px;">

ObEEPPv.gif

Andrijana

Post by Andrijana » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:01 am

Apparently, I missed my anniversary on the forum yesterday

4 years with you guys  

Love you, my beautiful ATB friends

e048aefc4a54c029f7be2af58a85e4eb.gif

Meltem

Post by Meltem » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:03 am

Dear Dad, Send Money – Letters from Students in the Middle Ages

If you have a son or daughter attending university, most likely you will be getting a message from them asking for money. Apparently, this is part of a long tradition that goes back to the beginning of universities in the Middle Ages.

The idea that students ask their parents for money is not a new phenomenon – it began soon after the emergence of universities in medieval Europe. As one medieval Italian father puts its, “a student’s first song is a demand for money, and there will never be a letter which does not ask for cash.”

Here is a typical example from the 1220s:

B. to his venerable master A., greeting This is to inform you that I am studying at Oxford with the greatest diligence, but the matter of money stands greatly in the way of my promotion, as it is now two months since I spent the last of what you sent me. The city is expensive and makes many demands; I have to rent lodgings, buy necessaries, and provide for many other things which I cannot now specify. Wherefore I respectfully beg your paternity that by the promptings of divine pity you may assist me, so that I may be able to complete what I have well begun. For you must know that without Ceres and Bacchus Apollo grows cold.

Some students made sure to note how well they were doing at university before making their appeal for money. In this twelfth-century letter from France, two brothers lay it on thick:

To their very dear and respectable parents M. Matre, knight, and M. his wife, M. and S., their sons, send greetings and filial obedience.

This is to inform you that, by divine mercy, we are living in good health in the City of Orleans, an are devoting ourselves wholly to study, mindful of the words of Cato, ‘To know anything is praiseworthy.’ We occupy a good dwelling, next door but one to the schools and market-place, so that we can go to school every day without wetting our feet. We have also good companions in the house with us, well advanced in their studies and of excellent habit – an advantage which we well appreciate, for as the Psalmist says, ‘With an upright man thou wilt show thyself upright’. Wherefore lest production cease from lack of material, we beg your paternity to send us by the bearer, B., money for buying parchment, ink, a desk, and other things which we need, in sufficient amount that we may suffer no want on your account (God forbid!) but finish our studies and return home with honour. The bearer will also take charge of the shoes and stockings which you have to send us, and any news as well.

There are many examples of letters home with demands for support, along with a few replies in which the parents send money along with admonitions against spending it too quickly. Perhaps the best example of a medieval student asking a parent for money comes from the French writer Eustache Deschamps (1346-1406). In his youth he attended the University of Orleans before going on to work for the King of France. In the year 1400 he penned this imaginary letter from a student to his father:

Well beloved father, I have not a penny, nor can I get any save through you, for all things at the University are so dear, nor can I study in my Code or my Digest [these are legal texts], for their leaves [pages] have the falling sickness. Moreover, I owe ten crowns to the provost, and can find no man to lend them to me. I ask of you greetings and money.

The student has need of many things if he will profit here; his father and his kin must supply him freely so that he will not be compelled to pawn his book, but will have ready money in his purse, with gowns and and furs and decent clothing; or he will be damned for a beggar; wherefore, that men may not take me for a beast, I ask of you greetings and money.

Wines are expensive, as are hostels and other good things; I owe in every street, and am hard put to free myself from such snares. Dear father, deign to help me! I fear being excommunicated; already I have been cited, and there is not even a dry bone in my larder. If I cannot find money before this feast of Easter, the church door will be shut in my face; wherefore grant my supplication. I ask of you greetings and money.

Well beloved father, to ease my debts contracted to the tavern, at the baker’s, with the professors and the beadles, and to pay my subscriptions to the laundress and the barber, I ask of you greetings and money.

~ Medievalists.net

You can read more this topic in Charles H. Haskins’ article, “The Life of Medieval Students as Illustrated by their Letters” and the book The University in Medieval Life, 1179-1499, by Hunt Janin.

ObEEPPv.gif

Igiso

Post by Igiso » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:57 am

Transparency in nature 

»»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------««

xQqXnGK.gif?1    

Meltem

Post by Meltem » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:35 am

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.”

~ Henry Miller

ObEEPPv.gif

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Reader's Garden”