Ottoman Rising

belalugosi

Re: Ottoman Rising

Post by belalugosi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Damla's English is good, I remember from a movie she did where she played a Turkish woman with an American husband.  Ilayda presumably knows it well from doing international press for Mustang, she was semi-famous in American and French indie circles before Turkish TV.   So I'm not worried about those two.

Cem doesn't look a thing like those pictures buuut he's a good & charismatic actor, so I guess they're prioritizing that.

Malika

Post by Malika » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:45 pm

57 minutes ago, PrensesBanu said:

If I speak English, it sounds funny, because I can't get rid off the Teutonic accent

Lol I had to look up teutonic accent... assuming its similar to German?

58 minutes ago, PrensesBanu said:

Turks accents while speaking English is even funnier.

Lol I agree.... but its not like the Indian accent isn't funny. So they've made a lot of English/hindi original shows for Netflix and Amazon prime. But it is realistic because people do speak a lot of English in India. Also there is sort of this elitism about English in India.

Just not sure how they would work English in a script from the middle ages. Modern English wasn't even a formed language at that point. 

1 hour ago, belalugosi said:

Cem doesn't look a thing like those pictures buuut he's a good & charismatic actor, so I guess they're prioritizing that.

I liked him a lot in the protector. With the right makeup .. I don' think it would matter much. Also his age seems more appropriate. 

PrensesBanu

Post by PrensesBanu » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:31 pm

41 minutes ago, Malika said:

Lol I had to look up teutonic accent... assuming its similar to German?

Yeah that is what especially Brits use for Germans, next to Kraut lmao.

43 minutes ago, Malika said:

but its not like the Indian accent isn't funny.

I have a hard time understanding their English

The best are Scandis and the Dutch when it comes to English.

45 minutes ago, Malika said:

Just not sure how they would work English in a script from the middle ages. Modern English wasn't even a formed language at that point. 

Depends how accurate it will be. It is said to be a docu drama

Malika

Post by Malika » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:45 pm

51 minutes ago, PrensesBanu said:

I have a hard time understanding their English

Yes it is tough. I am probably more used to it because I am Indian by descent. But I think I'd equate it to something like a local dialect. Also they use a lot of Britishisms but in their own way so it gets confusing, 

1 hour ago, PrensesBanu said:

Yeah that is what especially Brits use for Germans, next to Kraut lmao.

I grew up in London .. but for some reason don't remember learning this, lol. But good to know. 

1 hour ago, PrensesBanu said:

Depends how accurate it will be. It is said to be a docu drama

That to me sounds like it will be more accurate than not. 

PrensesBanu

Post by PrensesBanu » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:48 pm

37 minutes ago, Malika said:

Yes it is tough. I am probably more used to it because I am Indian by descent. But I think I'd equate it to something like a local dialect. Also they use a lot of Britishisms but in their own way so it gets confusing, 

Ahh, okay. Yeah, that makes sense of course. Especially when they speak fast and I'm like So it's all about getting used to something.

Too bad my Bollywood phase is over, though sometimes I still listen to the osts of Devdas or Paheli.

53 minutes ago, Malika said:

That to me sounds like it will be more accurate than not. 

Don't be too sure, there are many trash docus out there. But let us pretend they will be accurate lol.

_____

So Tuba will play Mara Branković

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_Branković

played by Idil Firat in the KanalD version

She was actually the stepmother, but since she seemed to have actual influence and her being Christian makes the character more interesting.

Mehmets actual mother was called Hüma, a slave girl whos background are sadly unknown. Also she died only around 40.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hüma_Hatun

Engin.Ak

Post by Engin.Ak » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Tolga Tekin joined the cast of the Netflix series “Ottoman Rising”

Malika

Post by Malika » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Not sure how true.. but I hear they are aiming for release in September. Also that they are going to start filming in March... I guess that part makes sense because they have most of the cast finalized. 

Also Mara's real life history sounds very interesting: The real historical facts about Mara Branković, a daughter of Serbian despot Djuradj Branković: She was born 1416, betrothed to sultan 1431, and entered harem of Murat II 1435, as a third wife, in order to prevent Ottoman invasion on Serbia, and started to be a step-mother of young Mehmed Ii (later named Fatih (fatih in Turkish means conqueror). Mara than named Mara Hatun or Despina Hatun. Since she did not have her own children, Mara played a major role in his upbringing, but also in helping to come to power 1451, when she was 35 years old, and he was 19 years old. As the widow she rejected a marriage proposal by Constantine XI, Byzantine Emperor. After the conquest of Constantinople (now Istanbul) 1453, with approval of sutan Mehmed, she returned to Serbia, but later she lived again in various places in the Ottoman Empire and was the most honest advisor, confidential person and "diplomat" of Mehmed II. She helped the Christian monasteries. She died at age 71 year.

Rosamund

Post by Rosamund » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:25 am

On 2/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, Malika said:

Not sure how true.. but I hear they are aiming for release in September. Also that they are going to start filming in March... I guess that part makes sense because they have most of the cast finalized. 

Also Mara's real life history sounds very interesting: The real historical facts about Mara Branković, a daughter of Serbian despot Djuradj Branković: She was born 1416, betrothed to sultan 1431, and entered harem of Murat II 1435, as a third wife, in order to prevent Ottoman invasion on Serbia, and started to be a step-mother of young Mehmed Ii (later named Fatih (fatih in Turkish means conqueror). Mara than named Mara Hatun or Despina Hatun. Since she did not have her own children, Mara played a major role in his upbringing, but also in helping to come to power 1451, when she was 35 years old, and he was 19 years old. As the widow she rejected a marriage proposal by Constantine XI, Byzantine Emperor. After the conquest of Constantinople (now Istanbul) 1453, with approval of sutan Mehmed, she returned to Serbia, but later she lived again in various places in the Ottoman Empire and was the most honest advisor, confidential person and "diplomat" of Mehmed II. She helped the Christian monasteries. She died at age 71 year.

What an interesting story. Tuba doesn't look at all Serbian. She looks Tatar. Ama neyse.

giphy.gif

Malika

Post by Malika » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 pm

7 hours ago, Rosamund said:

What an interesting story. Tuba doesn't look at all Serbian. She looks Tatar. Ama neyse.

This is the best historical representation of Mara. 

Mer(Abla)

Post by Mer(Abla) » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:26 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuEq0gyBXMz/

kL0GWcy.gif

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Titles”